Xiaomi Mi 4 and Mi 3 users will have to wait for a while for the latest Android update. However, impatient users have another option now. XDA Developer Forum members have released a new Nougat-based AOSP (Android Open Source Project) ROM for Xiaomi Mi 3 and Mi 4.
The AOSP Custom ROM comes with the latest Android Nougat features along with exclusive themes, visually appealing interface, performance tweaks, and other features to enhance user experience. However, the AOSP Nougat ROM is an experimental version and may contain few bugs. While there haven’t been any major complaints as such, certain things don’t work so install this at your own risk.
Things To Remember Before Installation
1. The unofficial AOSP Nougat ROM is only meant for the Xiaomi Mi 4 W/Mi 3W/Mi 4 LTE models. Check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number.
2. Installing custom ROM makes the company warranty void. You will no longer be eligible for future updates. You can restore your warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM.
3. The smartphone needs to be rooted before installation and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.
4. The installation process requires clearing of memory, remember to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
5. Install USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone will not be recognized by your PC.
6. Make sure the device has more than 80 percent battery for uninterrupted installation process.
7. If you face force close, go to Settings >> Set up wizard >> Give permission.
Here’s How To Install Android Nougat On Xiaomi Mi 4, Mi 3 via AOSP Custom ROM
2. Paste Android Nougat zip file and Google Apps into the phone’s SD card memory [only in SD card root].
3. Turn off the smartphone and disconnect from the PC.
4. Perform the regular Recovery Mode by press holding ‘Volume (up)‘ and ‘Power‘ buttons.
5. After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option. Use ‘Volume‘ keys to navigate and ‘Power’ button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode.
6. Clear the cache memory by selecting ‘wipe cache partition’.
7. Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select ‘advanced’ and tap ‘wipe dalvik cache‘ [This step is optional, but many recommend to avoid boot loops or any other errors].
8. Return to main recovery screen and then tap ‘install zip from SD card’. Select ‘choose zip from SD card‘ and go to Android 7.0 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process.
9. Repeat the same steps to install Google Apps.
10. Once the installation process is over, navigate to ‘+++++Go Back+++++‘ and restart the device by opting ‘reboot system now‘ seen in the recovery menu.
11. Now, your smartphone will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
12. Finally, go to Settings >> About phone to confirm the installation of AOSP Nougat ROM.
Disclaimer: The installation procedure should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of irreversible damage. Proceed with caution.