Pokémon GO is on its way, and with its scheduled release later this year (the 20th year anniversary for the entire Pokémon franchise), there’s a lot to be excited for. One of these is knowing what Starter Pokémon you’ll start out with.
At present, we have precious few details on Pokémon GO, and what Starters the game will let you choose isn’t one of them. Starter Pokémon is a time honoured tradition for Pokémon games, particularly the mainline games, where you start the game by picking between a Fire-type, Grass-type or Water-type Pokémon. Here’s the Starters we have seen so far:
- Pokémon Red/Green/Blue: Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle.
- Pokémon Yellow: Pikachu
- Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal: Chikorita, Cyndaquil, or Totodile.
- Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald: Treecko, Torchic, or Mudkip.
- Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup.
- Pokémon Black/White: allowed you to pick Snivy, Tepig, or Oshawatt.
- Pokémon X/Y: Chespin, Fennekin, or Froakie.
Will this entire cohort be made available as Starter Pokémon for Pokémon GO? Considering the very wide audience this game is geared towards, it seems unlikely we’ll see only a few Starter Pokémon, so a wide range of options is more likely. Another possibility is for a wide pool of Starter Pokémon, which are randomly whittled down to three options, so that you’re offered three at the start like the mainline Pokémon games.
As for what Pokémon I’d pick as a Starter, if I had the choice, my pick is Charmander. Nothing beats my first ever Starter.
What Pokémon would you pick as your starter? Let us know in the comments below!