OnePlus One users may not receive Android Marshmallow update officially, but that doesn’t mean you cannot install Android 6.0/6.0.1 Marshmallow on OnePlus One smartphone. AICP, a popular developer community for custom ROMs have just released the v6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM for the OnePlus One. So now you can enjoy the Marshmallow flavour on the smartphone without any official update.
The whole update weighs 285MB in size and adds some features like Doze, new security boot system, and many other useful options. Do remember that this is an unofficial ROM release and might brick your phone if not installed in the proper way.
Before installing the OnePlus One Marshmallow custom ROM, you need to ensure the following things.
- You can install this AICP Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM only on OnePlus One (Bacon) models only. Other phones might get bricked if this ROM is installed on those.
- You need to root the phone before installing this ROM.
- Flashing custom ROMs voids warranty, remember it.
- Backup all your data as flashing erases the memory.
- Charge your phone up to 80% at least.
- We won’t be responsible for any harm that comes to your device after using this ROM.
How to Install OnePlus One Marshmallow Custom ROM
- Download Google apps and AICP Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM on your computer. Links are given below.
- Plug in the phone to your computer through USB.
- Copy the custom ROM and the Google Apps zip file to the external storage of the phone in the root folder. Make sure that you also install ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool on the phone.
- Switch off the phone and disconnect it from your computer.
- Now hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons together to enter the Recovery Mode.
- Now choose “wipe data/factory reset.”
- After that, choose the “wipe cache partition”.
- Go to ClockworkMod recovery, and choose “advanced”. Now tap on “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Go to the main recovery screen now and select “install zip from SD card.”
- Select “choose zip from SDcard” and navigate to the custom ROM zip file in your phone and install it. Install Google Apps the same way.
- Finally, restart the device by choosing the “reboot system now” option from the main menu.
- Once your OnePlus One phone boots up, you will find the new software installed on it.
USB driver: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
OnePlus One AICP Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM: HERE