LG G4 is the last year flagship device from LG. The company did release the official Android Nougat upgrade for the LG G5, and the LG V20 ships with Android Nougat. For now, though, there’s no confirmation about official Android Nougat upgrade coming to LG G4. LG could release the upgrade during 2017, the phone is just over one-year-old after all.
For all those G4 owners who can’t wait for the official ROM from LG to finally try out Android Nougat, CyanogenMod community managed to develop a custom CyanogenMod CM14.1 ROM based on Android Nougat. The ROM works on the LG G4 (H815( international LTE and (H811) T-Mobile models only, so make sure you have one of those before thinking about installing the ROM.
The new CyanogenMod CM14.1 version brings all goodies found on Android Nougat – multitasking, better battery optimization, night mode, improved notifications, and more. If you want to see how the ROM works, as well as other LG G4 owner’s feedback, head out to the official LG G4 page on XDA developers website. For further steps to install the Android Nougat ROM on LG G4, read on!
[Disclaimer: flashing unofficial ROMs is a very technical procedure and should only be performed by a person with deep knowledge of rooting and manually installing Android software. If the procedure is not done properly, it can lead to the smartphone getting bricked, even getting permanently irreparable. Mobipicker.com can’t be held responsible for any potential damage the installing procedure might cause on the device. Proceed with caution.]
First of all, you’ll need the following software (Custom ROM download links are not working now, hence, we have removed them):
- CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM for LG G4 LTE (H815)
- CyanogenMod Recovery for LG G4 LTE (H815)
- CyanogenMod CM 14.1 custom ROM for LG G4 T-Mobile (H811)
- CyanogenMod Recovery for LG G4 T-Mobile (H811)
- Google Apps download (for both devices)
- USB Driver download link (for both devices)
Before you begin with the installation procedure check out prerequisites list:
- This CyanogenMod CM14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM has to be installed on the LG G4 (H815) international LTE and (H811) T-Mobile models only ; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (LG G4) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
Ok, now check out the step-by-step tutorial of the CyanogenMod CM14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM nightly on LG G4 (H815/811) models via TWRP recovery method installation procedure:
- [WARNING: Most stock h815 phones come with a locked bootloader. Only some region models have been unlocked so far. An unlocked bootloader is required for this guide.]
Make sure your phone is currently running h811 – V20O / h815 – V20D stock ROM or higher
Make sure your computer has working ADB.
- Connect LG G4 to the computer only after finished downloading CyanogenMod CM14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM and Google Apps into your PC. [Note: Before plugging the phone to the PC, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, the device won’t be recognised by the computer]
- Place the CyanogenMod CM14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM into the phone’s storage memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
- Turn off the device and disconnect it from PC.
- Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons.
- Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone’s memory (full) by selecting ‘Wipe’ option. Once done, select – ‘Swipe to Factory Reset’ perform the factory reset.
- Return to TWRP settings and tap ‘Install’ by the selecting all the .Zip files (System, Modem, Boot, Bootloader) in the phone’s memory downloaded from PC.
- Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping ‘Swipe to Confirm Flash’.
- Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message ‘Successful’ appears on the screen, thus completing the installation.
If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select ‘Wipe cache/Dalvik’. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation.
That should be it. If you followed the procedure your LG G4 should run the latest CyanogenMod CM14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM nightly.