Lenovo introduced the modular concept in the smartphone market, with its Moto Z series. Now, the company has announced that it has sold 1 Million Moto Z units globally.

Lenovo Sells 1 Million Moto Z Units Globally Modular Concept Pays Off

The Lenovo Moto Z series was announced in June, this year. The global release started with the US, followed by India and other Asian markets. Now, in just three months, the Moto Z series sales have reached record numbers. Lenovo’s CEO announced on Twitter that the company sold over 1 million Moto Z units across global markets. He attributed the grand success of the innovative series to the Moto Mods accessories.

Shipments in MBG (Mobile Business Group) product lines in the second quarter grew almost 25 percent compared to the previous quarter to a total of 14 million. Lenovo continued to increase mobile shipments in both Asia Pacific and India, with mobile shipments in India increasing 15 percent year-over-year. Moto shipments were up almost 40 percent from the previous quarter due to Moto G and successful launches of new Moto Z and Moto Mods. – Lenovo said in its second quarter earnings report.

While most smartphones look alike and come with fixed RAM, storage, battery capacity, and cameras, the Moto Mods allow you to customize the device as per your needs. Only other smartphone to offer similar flexibility is LG G5, which somehow didn’t manage to grab many users. The bad design and unreliable battery back-up have been attributed to the device’s failure. In fact, it is rumored that LG will move away from modular design in its future smartphones.

However, unlike LG G5, the Moto Z series devices don’t need to be switched off or take apart to add customization. Moto Mods are basically the magnet-based swappable case, which can be attached to the smartphone via pogo pin connectors. This allows users to add a variety of accessories to their handsets including an Incipio battery pack, ‘SoundBoost’ with JBL speaker and a kickstand, a pico projector and a photography-centric Moto Mod accessory Hasselblad True Zoom. Lenovo is expected to roll-out a few more Moto Mods, in coming months.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.