HTC One M7 is now getting the Android Marshmallow via CyanogenMod CM13 custom ROM. The custom ROM developer community released Android Marshmallow-based CM 13 series firmware to select smartphones, in November 2015. However, the HTC One M7 has made it to the list, just now. However, this firmware is an experimental version, so there might be some bugs.
The Android 6.0.1 OS update is now available for 2013 flagship phone. It is around 342MB in size and comes with features such as Doze power saving feature, faster Chrome browser, more intuitive Now on Tap feature, new security feature verified boot system, support for more international dialects, a new contextual assistance feature, etc. Here’s How to Install CyanogenMod CM13 Custom ROM on HTC One (M7):
- The device should be rooted before starting custom ROM installation and ClockworkMod Recovery tool should be installed.
- The USB driver should be installed in the PC or else your device will not be recognized by the computer.
- Your device should have more than 80% battery for the installation process to continue without interruptions.
- Remember to backup all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- The CyanogenMod CM 13 Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM series is only meant for HTC One M7 GSM model. You can check your device model by going to Settings >> About phone >> model number.
- Please note that the custom ROM makes the company warranty void. However, users can restore the warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Download the CyanogenMod CM 13 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly and Google Apps into the PC.
- Connect HTC One M7 to the Computer via USB cord. [Scroll down to find the CyanogenMod’s downloadable firmware files]
- Move Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file into the smartphone’s SD card memory. Paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.
- Paste boot.img file in the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory.
- Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
- Press holding ‘Volume (down)’, and ‘Power’ buttons to perform regular Bootloader mode.
- Next, go to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools (on the PC) and open Command prompt and type in: ‘fastboot flash boot boot.img’ and press enter.
- Type: ‘fastboot reboot’ and follow instructions displayed on the screen. Select BOOTLOADER option to enter Recovery Mode.
- Then, clear the phone memory, by choosing ‘wipe data/factory reset’. You can use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode.
- Clear the cache memory by selecting ‘wipe cache partition’.
- Return to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select ‘advanced’ and tap ‘wipe dalvik cache’ [This step is optional]
- Go back to the main recovery screen and then tap ‘install zip from SD card’.
- Tap on ‘choose zip from SD card’ and go to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process.
- Repeat the procedure for installing Google Apps.
- Once the installation process is finished, go back to ‘+++++Go Back+++++’ and restart the device by selecting ‘reboot system now’ seen in the recovery menu.
- It will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
- Finally, head to Settings >> select ‘About phone’ to confirm the installation.
Disclaimer: The procedure is very technical and should only be performed if you have a sound knowledge of rooting Android devices. If installation process is not followed properly, the smartphone might suffer permanent damage.
You can Download the required files here:
- HTC One (M8) CyanogenMod CM 13 6.0.1 Marshmallow custom ROM nightly
- Recovery image
- Google Apps
- USB Driver