If you own a Samsung Galaxy S5, you might be aware that the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow update from Samsung is coming to the device soon. However, we don’t know when exactly the update will be released, and the wait is making users impatient. However, you can now get Android Marshmallow earlier on your Galaxy S5 by installing CyanogenMod 13 (CM13) custom ROM.
The CM13 ROM is in its early phase and may still contain a few bugs. For example, some features like video recording or external storage might not work. So we expect the ROM to become more stable after a few updates from the CyanogenMod developer team. Please install the ROM at your own risk, because if done incorrectly, your device might get bricked.
- Download CM13 Marshmallow ROM and Gapps.
- Make sure that your Galaxy S5 model is one of the following: kltexx, kltelra, kltetmo, kltecan, klteatt, klteub, klteacg, kltedcm, klte, kltespr, klteusc, kltevzw and kltedv. Flashing the ROM to any other model of S5 might brick the device.
- Install the latest version of TWRP recovery in your device.
- Install the proper USB drivers for your phone in your computer.
- Charge your phone up to at least 80% and backup your data.
How to Install Android Marshmallow on Galaxy S5 through CM13 Custom ROM
- Copy the CM 13 ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded from the above link to the internal storage of your Galaxy S5.
- Now go to the TWRP recovery mode in your device by doing this: switch off the phone and press down the Volume Down and Power buttons until the TWRP logo comes up on the screen.
- In the recovery mode, tap on the backup option and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS. Now swipe right when asked in order to backup.
- After the backup is complete, you need to wipe the data completely. Go back to the TWRP menu and select the Wipe button. Now tap on Advanced Wipe and select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Then swipe right to confirm the process.
- After the wipe is complete, return to the TWRP menu and tap the install option. Now navigate to the ROM file you copied in your device and select it.
- Finally, swipe right on the confirmation button and the installation will start.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to install Gapps. Swipe right to confirm the installation.
- After Gapps has been installed, tap on the reboot to system option.
That’s it. You can now experience Android Marshmallow on your Galaxy S5! Leave your feedback in the comments below.