Samsung‘s now old Galaxy Note 3 had been updated to Android Lollipop just earlier this year. However, the phablet is now more than two year old and is not eligible for the Android Marshmallow update. This might sadden the Note 3 owners, but there’s a chance that the Marshmallow update might reach the phablet in another way. Confused? Read on.
Morningstar, a well-known member of the XDA Developer Forum, has released CyanogenMod CM13 custom ROM (unofficial) for the Galaxy Note 3 LTE model. This ROM is based on Android Marshmallow. However, this is just a beta version and is buggy. So if you are going to install it on your Galaxy Note 3, make sure you exercise caution.
How to Install CyanogenMod CM13 Android Marshmallow on Galaxy Note 3
The following tutorial will guide you in the installation process of the CM13 custom ROM on your Galaxy Note 3. Please remember that the procedure is a bit technical and should be done only by experienced people. If performed incorrectly, the device might get bricked or might not perform as expected. MobiPicker will not be responsible in such cases. This tutorial is meant for educational purposes only.
- You can install this CyanogenMod CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM only on the Galaxy Note 3 LTE model (SM-N9005). If you try this on other devices, they might get bricked. You can check the model number by going to Settings > About phone > Model number.
- The phone should be rooted to install this custom ROM.
- The installation of this ROM clears the phone memory, so do not forget to backup your data using Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- Your PC should have the USB driver software, without which your Note 3 won’t be detected by the computer.
- Be sure to charge the phablet up to 80% before starting the process, or else it might get bricked temporarily in case the battery drains out during the installtion.
- Installing a custom ROM voids company warranty temporarily. You can regain the warranty by re-installing the stock ROM.
Steps to Install CyanogenMod CM13 Android Marshmallow on Galaxy Note 3 LTE:
1. Go to the below-given link to download the CyanogenMod CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on your computer.
2. Make sure that the USB driver software is installed in your computer. If not, go to this link to download it.
3. Now plug in your Galaxy Note 3 to your computer.
4. Copy the CyanogenMod CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM to the phone memory. Remember that you need to copy the .zip file in the root folder of the phone memory and not in any other folder.
5. Now switch off the phone and disconnect it from your computer.
6. Now long press the Power button and the Volume (down) button simultaneously. The phone will enter Recovery mode.
7. Once the TWRP settings menu comes up, select the Wipe option and clear the complete phone memory. Then, select the Swipe to Factory Reset option to perform a complete factory reset.
8. Now go back to the TWRP settings menu, tap on the Install option, and select the .zip file that you had copied to your phone memory from your computer.
9. Return to the TWRP menu and tap on Swipe to Confirm Flash to confirm the installation.
10. The custom ROM installation will now begin. After a few minutes, the process will be completed and a message saying Successful will appear on the display.
11. If your Note 3 goes into a boot loop, simply go back to the TWRP menu and choose the Wipe cache/dalvik option.
You can seek support from the the XDA Developer Forum [link] if you have any issues with the installation.
Thanks to Morningstar, XDA Developer Forum, and the CyanogenMod team for providing us with this awesome custom ROM for the Galaxy Note 3. Cheers!