After the successful release of Creators update, Microsoft is well on its way to shaping the next major Windows release – the Fall Creators Update – for the later part of 2017. The Redmond giant is working extremely hard on the update and has released its preview build 16199 to the Fast ring, adding Android call notifications, Story Remix, and a number of improvements to Games and My People.
Improvements In Windows10 Fall Creators Update Preview Build:
- Android Call Notification: With the latest release, Windows 10 users can get call notifications from their Android devices. “The next time you receive a call, a notification will appear on your Fast ring PC telling you who it is and giving you the option to text back a reply or decline the call,” Microsoft’s Dona Sarkar explained. The notification lacks the option to answer the call, but we expect it to come aboard in days to come. Till then, fast ring users can get the most out of this feature by enabling it from the Sync Notifications option in the settings menu.
- Story Remix clarification: Things were messed up last week, with only a few Insiders getting the Photos app update that enables the Story Remix functionality. The move was intentional from Microsoft. “Story Remix is being rolled out to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring as part of A/B testing,” Sarkar said. “A/B testing is a scientific method to prove the causality of a change on the observed impact. We should have been clearer about this up front last week when we announced Story Remix so we apologise for the confusion.” That said, most Insiders should now have access to this functionality, but in case you don’t, there’s always an option to mail the story remix team for instructions on getting it.
- My People: The next wave of features for My People is finally rolling out. Users can now connect with their favourites by pinning their contacts on the taskbar and using a new set of features. This basically involves a new way to share files and see emojis as well as notifications. Whenever a pinned contact sends you an emoji, you’ll see it appear and animate right from the taskbar – a feature which could be annoying at times! You’ll also see a notification badge whenever there’s a missed or unread message. Moreover, there will be two new ways to share files – drag and drop an item onto someone on your taskbar to compose an email to them or send the file to that person via share picker.
- Gaming upgrades: Among gaming improvements, Windows 10 Build 16199 has tweaked the game and audio settings interface. The Game settings interface (in the Settings app) has been updated to support audio-only game broadcasting (via Beam), while the Audio settings interface in Game Bar has been renamed to Game DVR settings.
Other Changes, Improvements, And Fixes For PC Include:
- Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) will now work as expected on touch-enabled PCs.
- [DEVELOPERS] The XAML designer in Visual Studio 2017 hits an error causing a squiggle error under ThemeResource references to XAML’s generic.xaml resources. Please update to the latest version of Visual Studio 2017 Preview (Version 15.3 – 26510.00) or later. If Visual Studio 2017 Preview is already installed, users can update by starting the Visual Studio Installer, and click the Update button. You can confirm you have the right build of Visual Studio Preview by going to Help > About to confirm you are on Version 15.3 (26510.0-Preview) or later.
- We fixed an issue resulting in many Win32 apps not launching if certain 3rd party antivirus programs were active prior to upgrading.
- We’ve updated Windows Defender Security Center so as to no longer flag disabled drivers as issues. We have also adjusted the health scan logic so that using maximum brightness when connected to AC power will not flag a warning. Appreciate all who shared feedback on the subject.
- As a result of low usage, we’ve made the decision to remove the Note quick action.
- We’ve updated our migration logic so that going forward from this build the state of rotation lock will be preserved across upgrades.
- We fixed an issue resulting in colour profiles being ignored after launching certain fullscreen games.
- To help you quickly find the option you’re looking for, we’ve updated the context menus for apps and tiles in Start to now include icons for more actions, including Share, Uninstall, and Rate.
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update’s Insider Preview Build 16199 is rolling out successfully and should hit your fast ring device in a day or two if not already there. You can download it from the “Windows Update” section on your PC.