Modular smartphones are now being the talk of the town with projects like Ara and Fonkraft. However where the project Ara is seeming to move at slow pace and Fonkraft getting shelved, we have got a news for you to cheer up. A new smartphone named Fairphone 2 will be a more closer towards making the modular phone a reality. Fairphone 2 will not as exactly modular as Project Ara but it is definitely a good headstart.
The main difference is the Fairphone 2 and Project Ara is that the fairphone although allows replaceable components but its little tricky to execute whereas the Ara will give you the easiest way out for this. Let’s see the brick and mortar and makes the smartphone:
- External case with several variations
2. Battery pack – replaceable
3. Core unit (or) the transceiver – There are several inclusions in this, like chipset, memory and flash storage, modem, radios and antennas, the SIMs and MicroSD card holders, motion sensors and power management.
4. Display unit – LCD module, touch sensing driver, Gorilla Glass 3 layer
5. Receiver unit – above the display, includes receiver, headset connector, front-facing camera, noise-cancelling microphone, ambient light and proximity sensor and the notification LED.
6. Rear camera unit – Camera and LED light
7. Speaker unit – speaker, vibration mechanism, main microphone and USB connector
The best thing in the Fairphone 2 is that the repair is simple enough of the components but replacement will need some technical knowhow although this is not much complex as other devices which needs to be send to service centers for repairing or replacing. Even if you need to replace a wrecked screen, one needs to remove the LCD secured in a magnesium frame in Fairphone 2.
Fairphone 2 is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2GB of RAM, 32GB of onboard storage, Dual SIM, an 8MP camera on the back, and a 2420mAh battery. It can sustain a accidental fall of upto 2 metere thanks to its outer frame which makes it sturdy as well as thicker than its counterparts.
Running on Android Lollipop 5.1 it supports 5inch Full HD display and 4G LTE network connectivity. We will keep you posted on this exciting new trend in the smartphone world.