Yet another smartphone explosion is in news. However, it’s not Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 this time. As per Australia’s 7 News, a surf instructor in Australia has claimed his new iPhone 7 exploded into flames inside his car. The explosion ended up setting the car on fire.
Mat Jones, from Sydney was giving a surf lesson, when the incident took place. He had left his one-week-old iPhone 7 underneath a pile of clothes in his car. When he returned, his car was filled with smoke and a pair of trousers he left inside were in flames. Jones immediately grabbed the pair of trousers and threw them onto the ground. He maintains that he has no doubt the iPhone was the source of the flames.
“As I look into my car you could not see inside the car. All the windows were just black. A big heatwave came out of the car. Ash was coming from inside the pants. Once you unwrapped the pants, the phone was just melting inside of it,” Mat Jones told 7 News.
He shook the iPhone out of burning clothes and filmed the burning remains of his handset. “Here’s the phone – total burnout,” he said in a recording. Jones claims that he bought the phone a week ago and has not damaged it or used a dodgy charger.
So far, Apple has refused to comment on the incident. However, it said that it is aware of the complaint and currently investigating it.
The lithium batteries are susceptible for explosion if damaged, overheated or overcharged. Still, the circumstances, in this case, don’t indicate any mishandling such as dropping the phone or using a counterfeit charger.
Earlier, a Jeep in Florida had caught fire on account of Galaxy Note 7. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 combustion issues ended up costing the South Korean giant $19 billion.